What is color theory?
Let's discover the secrets of color relative to mixing...
- Are you a beginning artist? Have you ever stressed about how to mix colors for painting? If you have, then this class will open your eyes and remove a great amount of confusion! Explore the subject of color with an introduction to both the Color Wheel, and the Pigment Wheel. These are the key tools for mixing color.
- Instructor Gaby Hunter has made the study of color one of her pet projects over the span of her teaching career. Gaby shares her insight to simplify this huge subject! This course will show the beginner or intermediate artist how to look at color with an artistic and logical perspective.
- Sometimes color can be an overwhelming topic for the new or even the experienced artist. In this foundational course, Gaby will demonstrate with a simple step by step process, many new and logical ways to understand the pigments in your paint box.
- Learn how to read color temperature and understand the differences between warm and cool colors!
- Gaby shares her simple secrets to, "how to mix color". Understanding color will make all the difference in how you approach a new painting and give you the confidence to paint without the fear of creating muddy colors. Once and for all, learn to mix clean, clear and beautiful colors.
1.Learn the historical background of color theory and analyze various color systems.
2. Learn to differentiate between additive and subtractive mixing, mixing of light versus mixing of paint.
3. Using the universal language of color, learn to describe color in terms of Hue, Value, Intensity/Chroma/Saturation and Temperature - Important when describing color for mixing and matching.
4. Learn the importance of understanding the pigment wheel for describing color in three dimensions.
5. Learn the simple ways for mixing paint colors.
6. Learn to mix color with confidence.
- Class Videos: The online art lesson is presented via classroom videos, students can work along at their own pace as they watch the instructor paint each step of the painting.
- Text Lessons: Several step by step written lessons are provided so the student can paint along with the videos.
- Step by step supporting photographs are included in class materials.
- Instructor help and feedback: Students have unlimited access to receive individual critiques from the instructor.
- Students have 90 days (3 months) to complete the class. Even though we know this painting lesson can be completed over a weekend, we have provided more than ample time to work along at a relaxed pace for completing the painting.
- Classroom Forums: There are many classroom forums where you'll upload photographs of your work, and questions and answers are shared between students and me the instructor. Feedback is very important. This helps you know that you are on the right track. If there are any issues or challenges, these Q & A’s forums help clarify anything that might not be completely clear to you.
- You’ll also have access to a friendly online community of fellow students, to trade advice and experience as well as get personalized advice from the instructor. No matter the challenge, the community, the classroom forums and the teacher are all here to get you rolling again.
Once enrolled in the class, students gain access to the online classroom on our website. Here you will find all the class materials such as the supply list, class videos, lessons and other support materials. As you watch the videos, the teacher helps you prepare for the class, discusses the supplies and begins the creative process. Students follow along with the videos and use the printed text lessons as an extra support for the class. At anytime you can ask for help via email or by uploading a photograph of your painting into the class forums. Your teacher is always ready to offer suggestions and give feedback.
All Skill Levels Are Welcome
This course has been designed for all skill levels of painter. Naturally it is recommended that you have some prior painting experience. That said, you will meet many painters who are at various stages of their artistic journey. Everyone supports each other and is very helpful and friendly.
and Remove the Confusion from Mixing!